World Chronology Lesson 21 Assessment Question

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Miriam Gulding

Hello Mr. and Mrs. Michael,

I was wondering if you could help me with the assessment. I got one question wrong the last time I took it, and I am not sure which one I got wrong. However, I am confused by the question that asks who the commander was that led the Carthaginians in the second and third Punic wars. It does not say anything about that in the lesson.

Thank you for your help and patience! God bless,

-Miriam

#408752 Reply
    Rebecca Nuar

Hi Miriam,

I of course don’t know which question you are getting wrong, but for the question that confuses you, it says in the lesson:

After the war ended in 240 BC, the new Carthaginian commander, Hamilcar, began planning his future revenge.

This is the FIRST Punic War that ended in 240 BC… then, later:

He moved into Spain with his 9 year-old son Hannibal (who will become famous), took a Spanish wife to unite himself to the people and began building his army.

And:

Back in Spain, Hamilcar died and after being replaced by his brother-in-law Hasdrubal, the Carthaginians came under the command of Hannibal, who would lead them on a most famous course. As Carthage gained control of Spain, they came upon an old town that was an ally of Rome. As Hannibal pressed upon this town, Rome declared war.

Here, Hannibal becomes the leader of the Carthaginians. Then, after that, Hannibal attacked a Spanish town that was a friend of Rome, and THIS was the catalyst for the beginning of the 2nd Punic War. So Hannibal is the commander of the Carthaginians at the beginning of the 2nd Punic War.
    Then, a little later in the lesson it says:

Hannibal returned to Africa and mustered an army to face Scipio at the Battle of Zama in 201 BC. The young Scipio defeated Hannibal there, winning unimaginable glory on the battlefield and laid out the terms of surrender for Carthage.

This battle of Zama was at the end of the 2nd Punic War, and Hannibal was still the commander. It doesn’t specify in the lesson if Hannibal was the commander in the 3rd Punic War or not, but my reasoning when looking at this question was that Hannibal was DEFINITELY the commander for the 2nd Punic War, and since the question implies there was only ONE (main) commander for both the 2nd and 3rd Punic Wars, the answer must be Hannibal, based on what it says about this in the lesson.

Hope this helps!

God bless,

Rebecca

#408768 Reply
    Miriam Gulding

Hi Rebecca!

I had been putting “Hannibal” as the answer, but I didn’t think of it that way… thank you! 🙂

God bless!

-Miriam

#411648 Reply
    Miriam Gulding

Hello again,
    Mr. and Mrs. Michael, I had sent a ticket asking about what I got wrong on the assessment, and you sent a reply saying: “Please post your question on the support forum. We’re channeling all of our support questions there.” I was wondering, exactly what things should we use the tickets for? And can we ask about what we got wrong in an assessment there? When you asked me to post my question here I wasn’t entirely sure if you meant my question about the lesson, or my question about what I got wrong. Thank you so much for your patience and time! It is very much appreciated! 🙂
    God bless,
    -Miriam

#411701 Reply
    Dania Michael
    Admin

Hi Miriam,

I’m sorry I didn’t reply sooner. It had looked like your question was answered well by Rebecca. (Thank you, Rebecca!)

This is the question that you have been missing on the exam:
    True or False: In her early years, Rome grew in power by invading and conquering all of their neighbors.

The keyword you should pay attention to in that question is “invading”.

I hope that helps.

-Mrs. Michael

#411837 Reply
    Miriam Gulding

Thank you so much Mrs. Michael! (I passed %100 percent)

God bless,
    -Miriam

#411872 Reply
    Dania Michael
    Admin

Good work, Miriam! 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: World Chronology Lesson 21 Assessment Question
Your information: