Simplification of CLAA Website – Summer 2021

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    William C. MichaelWilliam C. Michael
    Admin

Dear friends,

As I continue working to fulfill the mission of the CLAA, I am very happy that we have been able to offer free access to the curriculum for Catholic men and religious this year.

However, the arrangement of the site, where so much is locked down with passwords is a great obstacle for what I’d like to offer.

This Spring and Summer, I’m going to make the curriculum open to the public for study. This will require some simplification of the website, which I have already started preparing.

Stusents will not need to sign in to the website to access lessons, but only to take exams, submit assignments, etc.–if they’re enrolled. Parents will not need to enroll students in courses because they will have access to everything. We’ll manage individual student and parent pages to track student progress manually.

Free users will need no accounts, etc., but will also have no access to assessments, records, etc. Academic services will only be available to families subscribed to one of our four enrollment plans.

I’ll share more details as I need to, but ask that you continue to be flexible and bear patiently with me as I move closer to accomplishing throng term goals of the work were doing.

God bless,
    William C. Michael

Leslie HickmanLeslie Hickman

Dear Mr. Michael,

That is extremely generous. I know that God will reward you for your generosity towards the religious and Catholic men.

If I’m understanding this correctly, the families who use the classes for their homeschool will still need to either enroll in individual classes or a family plan to access the assessments. Then, if they desire, they could enroll in Premium Support to receive one-on-one help, tutoring, and family support with day to day teaching and homeschool life. Is this correct?

Also, the other day you announced that you will be doing some video or text assessments. Are those included when you enroll in the classes or just with Premium Support or neither? I wasn’t clear whether the Premium Support subscription would cover that or not.

Thanks!
    Leslie

William C. MichaelWilliam C. Michael
    Admin

If I’m understanding this correctly, the families who use the classes for their homeschool will still need to either enroll in individual classes or a family plan to access the assessments. Then, if they desire, they could enroll in Premium Support to receive one-on-one help, tutoring, and family support with day to day teaching and homeschool life. Is this correct?

Yes–there are two reasons I want lesson content open to the public.

First, there are many men and religious interested in our program who don’t have cash to pay for course enrollments. For example, yesterday, a Catholic postdoctoral student at Oxford, who lives under a vow of poverty, chastity and obedince and has devoted his entire life to the study of mathematics and physics, enrolled in several courses, offering to tutor CLAA students for free.

Second, if I make lesson content private, then the CLAA looks like a mere blog to the search engines on the internet. The website is currently like an iceberg, which a tip sticking out of the water, which the search engines can see, and a massive body of content currently hidden. This hinders our online mission and the practical reality of digital publishing. I don’t want to look like guy who writes articles online, when I’ve restored the entire classical liberal arts curriculum and am publishing 100 online courses. So, I have to fix this–it’s not an option.

Text assessments are included in Premium Support, but video assessments (which are one-on-one meetings) cannot be.

WM

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.