To complete this lesson, complete the following tasks:
- Study the lesson below, carefully and completely.
- Complete all memory work.
- Complete the lesson assessment.
251. Q. Why did Christ institute the Holy Eucharist?
A. Christ instituted the Holy Eucharist–
1. To unite us to Himself and to nourish our soul with His body and blood.
2. To increase sanctifying grace and all virtues in our soul.
3. To lessen our evil inclinations.
4. To be a pledge of everlasting life.
5. To fit our bodies for a glorious resurrection.
6. To continue the sacrifice of the cross in His Church.
253. Q. What is Holy Communion?
A. Holy Communion is the receiving of the body and blood of Christ.
254. Q. What is necessary to make a good Communion?
A. To make a good Communion it is necessary to be in the state of grace and to be fasting for one hour from food and all drinks, except water.
[This answer has been changed in the 1977 edition to bring it up to date with the current rules.]
255. Q. Does he who receives Communion in mortal sin receive the body and blood of Christ?
A. He who receives Communion in mortal sin receives the body and blood of Christ, but does not receive His grace, and he commits a great sacrilege.
Baltimore Catechism I, Lesson 29 Exam