To complete this lesson, complete the following tasks:
- Study the lesson below, carefully and completely.
- Complete all memory work.
- Complete the lesson assessment.
152. Q. What is Baptism?
A. Baptism is a Sacrament which cleanses us from original sin, makes us Christians, children of God, and heirs of heaven.
153. Q. Are actual sins ever remitted by Baptism?
A. Actual sins and all the punishment due to them are remitted by Baptism, if the person baptized be guilty of any, and is rightly disposed.
154. Q. Is Baptism necessary to salvation?
A. Baptism is necessary to salvation, because without it we cannot enter into the kingdom of heaven.
155. Q. Who can administer Baptism?
A. The priest is the ordinary minister of Baptism; but in case of necessity any one who has the use of reason may baptize.
156. Q. How is Baptism given?
A. Whoever baptizes should pour water on the head of the person to be baptized, and say, while pouring the water: I baptize thee in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.
Baltimore Catechism I, Lesson 22 Exam