To complete this lesson, complete the following tasks:
- Study the lesson for mastery.
- Memorize all answers in bold.
- Work to earn a perfect score on the lesson Exam.
Read each question and study to memorize the answer. When all have been memorized, work to master the lesson exam.
112. What are the circles of the earth?
The circles of the earth are the equator, the tropics, the polar circles, and the parallels and meridians.
113. Are these circles alike in extent?
The equator and meridians only are of the same extent, and are called the great circles.
114. What are the other circles?
The other circles are the Tropical and Polar circles, and the Parallels. These being smaller in extent than the former are called small circles.
115. What is the Equator ?
The Equator is an imaginary great circle extending east and west round the globe, and at an equal distance from each pole.
116. What is the distance of the Equator from the Poles ?
The Equator is 90 degrees, or about 6250 miles from the North Pole, and the same from the South Pole.
117. What are the Tropics ?
The Tropics are two smaller circles running like the Equator East and West.
118. Where are they placed ?
The Tropics are placed at the distance of 23 1/2 degrees, or 1637 miles, north and south from the equator.
119. What are the names of the Tropics?
The northern tropic is called the Tropic of Cancer, and the southern is called the Tropic of Capricorn.
When you have earned a perfect score on your exam, contact us to be promoted to your next lesson.
World Geography, Lesson 10 Exam