To complete this lesson, complete the following tasks:
- Study the lesson for mastery.
- Memorize all answers in bold.
- Earn a perfect score on the lesson Exam.
Read each question and study to memorize the answer. When all have been memorized, work to master the lesson exam.
88. What is the earth ?
A. The earth is the planet we inhabit.
89. What are the planets ?
A. The planets are immense bodies, which revolve round the sun, and receive their light from it.
90. What is the shape or form of the earth ?
A. The earth is nearly round, being slightly flattened at the poles.
91. By what other names is the earth known ?
A. The earth is also called the World, the Globe, and the Sphere.
92. How many motions has the earth, and what are they ?
A. The earth has two motions: the daily and the yearly.
93. What is the daily motion of the earth ?
A. The daily motion is that in which the earth turns round once every twenty-four hours.
94. What is the yearly motion of the earth ?
A. The yearly motion is that in which the earth goes round the sun once every year.
95. What takes place during the earth’s yearly motion?
A. During the earth’s yearly motion, a change of seasons takes place.
96. What in a change of seasons ?
A. A change of seasons is the change from winter to spring, from spring to summer, from summer to autumn, and from autumn to winter again.
97. What is the length of the path travelled over by the earth every year, in its passage round the sun?
A. The length of the path travelled by the earth around the sun is nearly 600 million of miles or more than a thousand miles every minute.
98. What is the effect of the earth’s daily motion?
A. The earth’s daily motion produces a change from day to night.
99. If the earth did not turn round on its axis, what effect would be produced?
A. If the earth did not turn, the day and night would then each be six months long, and, consequently, there would be but one day and one night in the year. In that ease, our earth would be scarcely habitable.
100. What do these things teach us?
A. These things teach us that the works of the Almighty are directed by infinite wisdom and goodness.