To complete this lesson, complete the following tasks:
- Study the lesson for Mastery.
- Complete the lesson Memory work.
- Complete the lesson Assessment.
29. What is a Lake ?
A. A Lake is a collection of water, surrounded by land, as Lake Superior, Lake Winnipeg, or the Lake of Geneva, in Switzerland.
30. Where are the largest Lakes to be found ?
A. The largest lakes are found in North America; they are so wide and deep, that the largest ships may sail on them.
31. Is the water of lakes salt or fresh ?
A. Lakes are both salt and fresh. The largest freshwater lake is Lake Superior.
32. Which is the largest salt lake?
A. The largest saltwater lake the Caspian Lake, or Sea, in Asia. Salt lakes, when large, are commonly called seas, as the Sea of Aral, and the Dead Sea.
33. How do lakes discharge their waters ?
A. Freshwater lakes generally discharge their waters through a river into the ocean; but salt lakes have seldom any outlet.
34. What is a river ?
A. A River is a stream of water, running from springs or from lakes, into the ocean, as the Mississippi, the Amazon, etc.
35. How are rivers formed?
A. Rivers are formed by small branches, flowing from mountains or hills.
36. What are the small branches of rivers called ?
A. Small branches of rivers are called Brooks and Creeks.
37. What is the place where a river empties into the sea called?
A. The place where a river empties into the sea is called its Mouth; where it rises, its Source or Head.
38. What is the place through which a river flows called?
A. The place through which a river flows is called its bed, or channel.
39. What is a Canal?
A. A Canal is a wide ditch or channel, filled with water, through which boats convey travellers and goods from one town to another.
40. Where are Canals most numerous?
A. Canals are most numerous in the United States, Great Britain, and Holland.
41. Which is the largest Canal in the world ?
A. The largest canal in the world is the Grand Canal, in China.
42. Which are the most important Canals in the United States?
A. The most important Canals in the United States are the Erie Canal, in New York; the Pennsylvania Canal, in Pennsylvania; and the Ohio Canal, in Ohio.