In my video, “Moving from What? to How? in Classical Catholic Education“, I explained that I will be leading my own children to start their own student websites this year, and I recommend other students doing the same. In this article, I provide the steps one must follow to do so.
1. Go to www.wordpress.com/start.
2. Follow the instructions to create an account for the student.
3. Choose a domain name for the student site. Do not select a paid domain, but choose the free domain name available. See below:
4. Select a Plan, choosing to “start with a free site” (It’s all the student needs.).
5. Give your student site a name. Simply use the student’s full name (e.g., Joshua F. Michael).
6. Congratulations! You’ve successfully created a free student website.
7. When finished, select the “Visit site” button in the top, right of the screen. Lastly, click the purple “Launch site” button and you’re up and running.
WARNING: Do not allow the student to start customizing the website, playing with features, etc. If the site is made to look immature and unprofessional, it will defeat the whole point of creating a student website.
In a future post, I will provide instructions for what students should do next to develop their student website/blog.
William C. Michael, Headmaster
Classical Liberal Arts Academy